Committee, Task Force & Program Chairs
The following is a list of committees and programs offered by Scarsdale Synagogue Temples Tremont and Emanu-El. All Temple members are welcome to join any of these committees and participate in them. Please call the contact person listed below for further details. In addition to these standing committees and affiliates, there are ad-hoc committees which are established as the need or desire arises.
If you are interested in volunteering, please click on the individual involved in the committee to send an email.
- Plans our Annual Fundraising event
- Encourages congregational connections to the Reform Movement in Israel and throughout the world
- Educates the Congregation about issues relating to Israel
- Encourages and supports travel to Israel
Karen Chapro, Joel Wagman, Ron Katter
Oversees the administration of the Synagogue's Conflict of Interest and Whistleblower Policies
Dan Alpert, Richard Primoff, David Nodiff
- Plans Sunday morning programs and other social activities
- Runs the annual end of year barbecue
Budget & Finance
Mark Schneyer, Steven Eigen, Tom Vogel
- Develops and monitors the Congregational budget
- Makes strategic recommendations regarding revenues and expenses to the Board of Trustees (including proposed increases to the recommended Sustaining Pledge level in order to sustain Congregational expenses and programming)
- Oversees financial reports provided periodically to the Board of Trustees and the Congregation
- Seeks to build and strengthen our congregation
- Reaches out to members celebrating life cycle events and lends a hand to members in times of need
- Creates a network of volunteers from within our temple family
- Helps plan and supervise all religious services and celebrations especially focusing on the High Holy Days and Shabbat services
- Encourages lay participation through aliyot, ushering, and innovative programming
- In cooperation with the Clergy, recommends worship innovations and changes
- Promotes home celebrations and observances
- Serves as an advisory committee to the Director of Mazel Tots and the Religious School
- Seeks to involve Mazel Tots and Religious School parents in the Synagogue
- Assists with special programs as needed
- Makes recommendations for future needs of the program
- Plans, organizes and runs various family-oriented events
Feel Good Fridays
Fundraising and Development Taskforce
Responsible for strategic oversight of Synagogue fundraising and development activities and communications.
Oversee our grounds.
High Holy Day Usher/Greeter Coordinator
Stephen Older, Jim Siegel
- Supervises investment of temple funds
Library, Archives & Audio Visual
Randee Horowitz, Barbara Ginsberg
- Supervises the operation of the library
- Establishes and maintains a book purchase policy
- Encourages the use of the library, and establishes guidelines for borrowing books
- Maintains the video cassette library
- Organizes the congregational archives
Lunch & Learn
Paul & Sandy Rothstein
- Researches and hires experts on various topics of interest.
- Organizes lunch and lecture, open to all, in autumn and spring.
Machar (Engagement and Leadership Development)
Marketing and Communications
Eric Schoen, Emily Scherer Steinberg
- Supports the publicity of all of the programs and activities taking place at Scarsdale Synagogue
- Prepares materials to market Scarsdale Synagogue internally to its members and externally to increase membership
- Seeks new members (when appropriate) and handles the details of membership applications
- Welcomes new members once they affiliate, and encourages their ongoing participation
- Follows up on members considering leaving, or who do resign
- Develops methods for acquiring new members
- Plans prospective and new member events
Social Action / Tikkun Olam, firstname.lastname@example.org
David Benderson, Uri Scher
Judaism has always taught that we are partners in helping to build a better world. Our social action committee reaches out to our own member families and to the greater community in a variety of ways:
- Cooking for the Homeless
- Available to source Mitzvah Projects for pre-Bar/Bat Mitzvah students (6th grade Religious school class)
- Sponsoring Blood Drives
- Promoting "Mitzvah Opportunities"
- Helping those who need assistance
- Coordinates Mitzvah Day, blood drives, cooking for the hungry and other social action programs
- Coordinates Kol Tzedek Shabbat speakers and other social justice informational programming
- Responsible for providing content for Kol Tzedek (Voices of Justice) bi-weekly email blast
Actively working on development of 3 year strategic plan
United Interfaith Food Bank
- Organizes monthly food packing and delivery to 5 Head Start programs in White Plains
Women of SSTTE, email@example.com
Marilyn Shebshaievitz, Beth Quinn
- Our mission is to enrich our lives and our Synagogue life, to create a "community" feeling among our members and to help others.
- Be involved in our Jewish and General community supporting the needs of our members and our neighbors.
- Present a variety of social, intellectual, and cultural programs.
- Carry out our mission and the mission of our parent organization, Women of Reform Judaism (WRJ), and support their programs and projects including the fight for Reproductive Rights and Health and other Social Justice issues and the YES (Youth, Education, Special Projects) Fund. (www.WRJ.org)
- Help with special needs of the Synagogue Community, its Religious School, and Mazel Tots Early Childhood programs.
- Be involved with the Scarsdale Hartsdale Women’s Interfaith Council and other relevant organizations.